Home Contacts What's On Links Archives


Founded 1972           Scottish Charity No SCO12262

The Southside Association was founded in 1972 when local people campaigned to halt the demolition of tenements and other buildings in the area. Nowadays, the Association is a non-political amenity group, with an interest in social, welfare, environmental, educational, planning, licensing and recreational matters as they affect the Southside area.

The Southside Association meets on the first Tuesday of each month (except July and August) at 7pm in the South Side Community Centre, 117 Nicolson Street. We often have guest speakers on subjects of local interest, as well as a police officer and one of the local councillors being in attendance to answer questions and take up issues on behalf of members.

New members are always very welcome. Membership costs just 6 for a year (running from the AGM in May to the following April).

Chair/Secretary : Colin Christison     Vice Chair : Jo Scott     Treasurer : Hilary McDowell

Current issues

A7 corridor resurfacing

A major resurfacing operation will take place this spring, 2018, from Newington Road to South Bridge. Read more on the Southside Community Council website.

More Murals for Southside

The Southside Association has been granted funding for at least one more mural, and is some way to getting a second.

Come to our meeting on 3rd April to hear more and suggest ideas and themes that the artist, Kate George, might be able to include.

The first new mural will be in Gibbs Entry, the pend next to Tesco on Nicolson Street. We are very grateful to Edinburgh University for fully funding this. We hope soon to have all the funds to put a mural in the next pend, Haddon's Court. We have been awarded 70% of the funds for this from the Localities Events Fund, and we have applied for the remaining 30% from the SCNP.

*** We have jsut heard (29/3/18) that we have been granted that final 30%, so we are all set to go with both murals ***

Bernard Terrace Crossing

Thanks to everyone who voted for this project, it came top of the list with 954 points. The next project had 763 points so the Bernard Terrace crossing was first by a big margin. We look forward to the project being implemented.

Annual General Meeting

Our AGM is in May each year. The last annual General Meeting of the Southside Association was held on Tuesday, 2nd May 2017. Colin Christison, elected as Chair for a further year, gave a report which you can see here.

Pleasance Triangle

The Pleasance Triangle (at numbers 69 to 73) has been upgraded. Raised flower beds have been installed, and a new stone and resin surface laid. They have been planted up. Just need weeding! We wait to see what they look like later in the year.

Southside Surgery

The Southside Doctors' Surgery on Bernard Terrace has now moved to Cameron Toll. There is an existing medical centre there, the Conan Doyle Medical Centre, where some space has become available. Here is some background to the move.

Plans for the Causey

A new TRO for changes to West Crosscauseway is now open for public comment. Details on the Council website here.